This is a subject I mentioned earlier in a post about project #1. Is is creepy if I ask an acquaintance, teacher, classmate, etc if I can photograph them?
There is a street in the city next door with amazingly colorful houses. I found the street by chance one day while driving about and I fell in love. I had always wanted to go back to photograph the houses, but I was afraid. Finally yesterday I went back with my boyfriend. I took a few shots, but he was uncomfortable with it, and so I gave up (he didn't mean for me to stop but I am easily discouraged).

The houses are so fun and the shots I got aren't so great, but is it creepy/rude/unacceptable to take pictures of people's houses? If I had a house this decorative I would be completely fine if people took photos of it (as long as they weren't stalkers and I wasn't in the photos), but does that make it okay?

The houses are so fun and the shots I got aren't so great, but is it creepy/rude/unacceptable to take pictures of people's houses? If I had a house this decorative I would be completely fine if people took photos of it (as long as they weren't stalkers and I wasn't in the photos), but does that make it okay? So, when it comes to photography, what do you think are the rules?
Hm, you know, I'm not sure that there are any! I take pictures of people's houses and yards, as long as I don't have to be invasive to get the shot (I stay on the sidewalk). I don't think it's creepy to ask people to photograph them, but so far I've been uncomfortable doing it with strangers (my friends and family are probably sick of having my camera in their faces, though!). Overall, I try to just be respectful. I take shots with people that I don't know in them (a crowd at the farmer's market, for instance), but I would ask before I took a close up of someone sitting on a bench.
ReplyDeleteYou have to be brave to go out with a camera! Just tell yourself that you are a photographer, and you have nothing to feel uncomfortable about.
I completely agree with the stay on the sidewalk and ask before taking a single rules. Respect is very important.
ReplyDeleteI think sometimes I am just afraid. It's as if I think someone is going to see me with my camera and say "You aren't a photographer! Stop taking photos."
Thanks so much for the encouragement! It's exactly what I needed to hear.